Search engine optimization (SEO): Highlight the most significant contents of your website to improve your positioning in search engine results.
Change the page title*:
The page title is shown in the web browser tab when viewing the page online.
It can also be used by search engines to identify the contents of the page: it may be shown in the description of the website in search results.
- Click on the 'Page' item in the list of items in the 'Elements' Toolbar
- Change the title in the property grid that appears under the list of items.
* The page title mustn't be confused with the page name which relates to the actual name of the page file in your Web Creator project. Changing page names should be avoided, as it may cause breakage of links in the project.
Keywords can be used in metatags to enhance the relevance of the contents of a website to search engines. You can add general metatags common for all your website, or select specific keywords for each page. The keywords have to be used and related to the actual contents of the page to be considered relevant.
1) Choosing keywords:
- Identify the keywords most relevant to describe your activity or business: you must choose words that are likely to be used by users to make a search to find you
- Make sure that the words are use in context in the contents of your pages and / or title to enhance their relevance
2a) Insert keywords in project metatags
- Click on the 'Project' item in the list of elements in the 'Elements' Toolbar
- Click on 'metatag generator' in the property grid which appears under the list of elements
- Enter your keywords and a description
2b) Insert specific keywords in each page metatags
- Click on the 'Page' item in the list of elements in the 'Elements' Toolbar
- Click on 'No' for the project metatags option in the property grid which appears under the list of elements. The 'Metatag' line above will become active
- Click on 'Metatag' to open the metatag insertion window
- Click on 'Generator' to insert your keywords
Hierarchy tags: H1, H2, etc.
Use these tags to give more importance to the most relevant contents in your pages for search engines: H1 for titles, H2 for subtitles, H3 for original contents rich in keywords, H4 and H5 for content that is less relevant for SEO.
In a text object, insert your text between the following tags:
˂h1˃ Your text ˂/h1˃
˂h2˃ Your text ˂/h2˃
˂h3˃ Your text ˂/h3˃
˂h4˃ Your text ˂/h4˃
˂h5˃ Your text ˂/h5˃
Google Analytics code:
Google analytics offers tools to identify the origin of visitors and the keywords they used to find your site. You can use this information to optimize your website to provide a high density of contents relevant for your customers, choose the most efficient keywords, identify the pages which work best on your website, etc.
- Create an account and sign-up for Google Analytics
- Fill in the required information to create customized metatags
- Copy-paste the code provided by Google in either the project metatags (to use the same code for the whole website), or in each page metatags if you want more specific statistics.
Images -Alt- title
Adding a description to your images can help optimize the contents of your website for search engines. The description should be brief. It will be loaded instead of the image it it cannot be displayed. A description can also improve accessibility of your site for visually impaired people using a reading device to browse the web.
- Open the image property window
- In the 'Actions' tab, enter the image description in the (ALT=) field.
For more information on SEO, see Chapter 9 of the Web Creation Guide*, by LMSOFT:
Download this free guide on the LMSOFT Help Center
* coming soon!