How to open or close a connexion:Â
The following explains how to configure a connexion to your hosting server with the information provided by your host.Â
Once the connection is configured, you can open the connection simply by double clicking on the icon on the right pane window.
Enter your log on information in the dialog box. To switch between connections, simply select the previously configured connection from the list and all the characteristics will be recalled.Â
- Name :Â Name assigned to the connection to list it in the right pane window.
- Based on :Â Used to reproduce the basic features of an FTP server. Useful when you have multiple accounts or sites with the same hosting provider.Â
- Address :Â the FTP server address supplied by the hosting provider
- Port :Â Usually 21 by default. Your network admin may choose to use a different one.Â
- Username :Â assigned by the hosting provider
- Password :Â assigned by the hosting provider
- Distant folder on the FTP server :Â Select the folder that is automatically opened when the connection is established. It should correspond to the location of the first page of your website so that your website is accessible on the Internet. Most often, this box remains empty as the root directory is usually the first available. However, some hosting providers require that a specific distant folder be used, such as 'public_html' if the root folder itself is secured. Check with your hosting service technical support if needed.Â
- Local folder: Select the folder that will be displayed in the left window when the connection is opened. You can browse your files to select the ones you need from the list. You should transfer the FULL CONTENTS of the 'Web' folder in your project. NOT the Web Creator project itself, NOT the 'Web' folder itself, but the files inside it.Â
- Passive transfer :Â Depends on the configuration of the server. Try one or the other option before contacting the technical support in case the connection fails.
- Do not use a firewall for this connection :Â Depends on the configuration of the server. Try one or the other option before contacting the technical support in case the connection fails.Â
- Name for the first page of the website :Â Name required by the FTP server to display the website contents. Most often, it is index.htm, but some hosting providers also use index.html, default.html. Check with the technical support if your website isn't displayed with those default names.Â